Friday 7 February 2014

Egg aapam

Hoppers as they are known in Sri lanka..... aapams make you visualise the cuisine of Kerala with 'ishtew'(stew) or chicken curry. Since many years now Aapam with coconut milk is the favoured Sunday breakfast for my parents in law and I'm very grateful that some of the aapam batter is set aside for me to make use of, later at my convenience.I am the only other one in the family who has a liking for the simple comforting meal of aapam and coconut milk...for the rest of them it has to be 'refined' a notch !!!

Egg aapam is commonly ,found at restaurants or made in homes...the bulls eye yolk sitting in the middle of a soft fluffy aapam with crisp edges is a filling treat !It never occurred to me to make it any other way until my meal at Nalas Aapakadai...I was quite amazed to see the way the aapams were filled with mince and other veggies without it being overpowering !

I guess that visual stayed firmly planted in my mind...I did not really plan on replicating it ,at home at any point in the near future...but one morning,as I was all set to make egg aapams for the children...it was a bit of a shock to open the refrigerator and find one lone egg (I'm usually a bit more organised than that!)...I'm so thankful for the 'eureka' moment,that I remembered the stuffed aapams at Nalas...so using the one egg and adding our favourite herbs and spices...this 'now family favourite' egg aapam came into existence in our home..I am happy to share the recipe with you.

Aapam in the aapakkal

Flavour filled egg aapam

Crispy...soft...yummy aapam
Recipe for aapam filling-serves 2
Egg-1
Small onions-5 chopped fine
Green chillies-2 chopped fine
Milk-1 Tbsp
Coriander leaves-1/2 C Chopped
oil,salt,pepper
Method
In a bowl,beat the egg,milk,salt and pepper.
Add the other ingredients and mix them into the frothy egg mixture.
Ladle the aapam batter into the aapakal and swirl it around.
Close the lid.
After 2 mts ,when it is just set,pour half of the egg mixture and spread it to the edges gently with a fork/spoon.
Close and let cook on a slow fire for a few minutes,until the egg is cooked.
Serve hot.

Usually this egg aapam needs no accompaniment,but some folks just need something... out of habit,so ,if that is the case, the simple coconut chutney works very well...if you are planning on making some aapam batter...do try this recipe,for your sunday morning treat and let me know if your family loves it as much as mine does...as always,I look forward to hearing from you ! Ta :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do post your comments !