Wednesday 1 January 2014

Stuffed whole tomatoes

This was something that I was meant to post before the holidays started,I missed doing so for some reason ! It was the last day of school before the Christmas break...after exams,a day to relax with friends and exchange fun stories with the teachers...so naturally I was asked if I could make 'something extra special' to add to the happiness the day would bring,to be packed into my child's lunch box...while I willingly agreed ,caught up in the excitement of impending holidays... a few moments later,I went quite blank in my head as to what that something 'extra special' could be....after foraging around for what ingredients I had to work with,it was with a bit of nervousness that I set out to make this dish !
My original idea of corn rice, spinach and curd...gave way to penne with mushroom ,stuffed whole tomatoes and curd (yogurt)...the last one is not really negotiable ;) The thought process was simple...to go with what my child loves best...tomatoes had to feature in that menu in a big way...yet I wanted to keep it light but bursting with flavour and freshness....once back home from school I was rewarded with a big smile and hugs about how 'awesome' the lunch was !!! So,with you,I share the recipe of a dish that was created on a cold December morning...straight from a mother's heart to her child's tummy !!!!!!

Stuffed whole tomatoes with corn ,mint and olives

Recipe for stuffed tomatoes
Firm red tomatoes-6
Cooked corn kernels-1 1/2 cup fulls
Mint leaves- 10 whole
Green Olives-1/2 C (pitted and sliced)
Small onions-10 ,sliced
chilli flakes ,salt
EVOO-Extra virgin olive oil
Method
Slice a thin bit off the bottom of the tomatoes,to enable them to stand upright on the baking dish.
Slice the top off and scoop out the pulp and seeds.
In a pan add 1 tsp of oil and saute' the onions lightly with salt and chilli flakes
When the onions are soft,turn off the flame and add in the corn and the olives and mix well
Check seasoning and add the mint leaves.
Put spoonfulls of this mixture into the cavity of the tomatoes,fill to the brim
Add 1/4 tsp of EVOO into each tomato
Close with the top part of the tomato,you may secure it with a toothpick if you wish !
Drizzle them again very lightly with olive oil
Bake at 200 degrees C for 30 mts until tomatoes shrink slightly and the flavours are well combined.
Pack,when hot in a steel lunch box with a spoon and a smile !
Baked and bursting with flavour

It really is so simple but tastes like a lot of effort,do try and post your comments...I'm eager to know what you thought of it !School starts again tomorrow !!!! Happy New Year :))

2 comments:

  1. the way you have written makes me wish to have had taken a lunch box too...am going to try this one with capsicum !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)...thank you !!! Stuffed capsicums sound yummy too...I would add some chopped tomatoes to the corn for stuffing capsicums. :)

      Delete

Do post your comments !